The No. 14-ranked UA gymnastics team lost 195.625 to 195.400 to No. 8 Nebraska on Saturday. Freshman Jessie Sisler earned a near-perfect 9.925 to win her second consecutive floor title.
• The Wildcats women's tennis team improved to 6-3 with a 6-1 win over visiting Santa Clara on Saturday. Lacey Smyth won 6-2, 6-7, 10-8 at No. 1 singles for UA.
• The Arizona men's tennis team lost 4-3 to visiting New Mexico to drop to 5-2. Kieren Thompson won at No. 4 singles for the Wildcats, while Sumeet Shinde won at No. 6.
• The UA rugby team beat visiting Air Force 46-28.
Aztecs sweep defending softball champs
The host Aztecs softball team (11-5, 8-4) swept a pair of games from defending national champion Phoenix College, winning 4-1 in each contest. Yvette Alvarez won the first game, while Stephanie Vejar won the second.
• The Pima baseball team split a doubleheader against Arizona Western, losing 6-1 and winning 7-1.
• Nikki Regalado (5,000 meters) and Makaela Pratt (200) set a school track and field mark for the Pima women at the Central Arizona Relays in Coolidge, while Alejandro Valencia (1,500) set a school record for the men.
• The Pima women's tennis team went 3-1 at the Texas Tournament in Plano, Texas.
• The women's basketball team (15-13, 11-8) lost 86-81 in double overtime at Mesa Community College. The Pima men's hoops team (6-22, 1-19) lost 80-32 at Mesa.
Grandal apologizes for positive test
PEORIA - Reading from a prepared statement, San Diego Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal apologized for a second time following his 50-game suspension for a positive test for testosterone.
Grandal, a former Tucson Padres player, was suspended Nov. 7 and issued a statement then through the Major League Baseball Players Association. He read a statement Saturday at the Padres' spring training camp but did not take questions.
• C.C. Sabathia threw off a mound Saturday for the first time since arthroscopic surgery Oct. 25 to remove a bone spur from his left elbow.
Patrick posts fastest time at Daytona
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Danica Patrick was fastest on the first day of Daytona 500 practice. Patrick turned a lap of 196.220 mph in the second of Saturday's two practice sessions. The sessions were focused solely on qualifying for the Daytona 500.
• Kevin Harvick won the exhibition Sprint Unlimited race by dominating the final two segments of Saturday night's Speedweeks opener.
• Lionel Messi scored his 300th and 301st career goals for Barcelona and extended his record-scoring run to 14 Spanish league games in a 2-1 win at Granada.
Includes material from a news release