When FC Tucson began its first league season, it was hoping to be in this position at the halfway point of the season.
Tonight's match could be a huge step in seeing if the city's new semipro soccer team can be in the same place at the end of the season.
In a matchup of first-place teams, FC Tucson faces the Ventura County Fusion tonight at 7 in Ventura, Calif.
After eight matches in the 16-match regular season, the teams are even with 19 points apiece after FC Tucson picked up a point by drawing 1-1 with the Los Angeles Misioneros on Thursday. The top two teams make the playoffs.
While FC Tucson is still in its infancy, Ventura County has become one of the powers in the USL Premier Development League. The Fusion has finished in the top three in its division for the last four years and captured the USL PDL title in 2009.
21 named to US cycling team for London
Former track cycling star Taylor Phinney will return to the Olympics on the road, while Kristin Armstrong will defend her gold medal in the women's time trial at the London Games.
Armstrong and Phinney were among the 21 riders announced by USA Cycling for the Summer Olympics on Friday. The remaining three riders on the 24-rider team will be decided today, when the BMX trials are held in Chula Vista, Calif.
• Dwight Phillips, 2011 world champion in the long jump, will miss the U.S. Olympic trials because of a recurring injury to his Achilles.
'Pacman' ordered to pay $11M in Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS - Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones must pay $11 million in damages to two Las Vegas strip club employees injured in 2007 when a gunman claiming he was doing Jones' bidding opened fire outside the club.
Jones' lawyer, Lisa Rasmussen, said there is no evidence Jones was behind the shooting. She plans to appeal the verdict.
• In Lubbock, Texas, Jesse Powell, a linebacker for the unbeaten 1972 Miami Dolphins, died Thursday at 65.
Florida, Georgetown to meet on flattop
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Florida and Georgetown basketball teams will play a Veterans Day weekend game this year at Naval Station Mayport in Jacksonville.
Officials said the Nov. 9 game is part of the Navy-Marine Corps Challenge. Plans are to hold the regular-season, non-conference game on an aircraft carrier.
• In West Allis, Wis., Dario Franchitti won the pole position for today's IndyCar race at the Milwaukee Mile. Justin Wilson, last week's winner at Texas, starts second.
• In Halle, Germany, Rafael Nadal lost in the quarterfinals of the Gerry Weber Open, beaten by Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-3, 6-4 in the Spaniard's first tournament since winning a record seventh French Open.
• In Phoenix, Lindsay Whalen scored a season-high 29 points and the Minnesota Lynx remained perfect with a 78-60 victory over the Phoenix Mercury. The Lynx's 10-0 start is a WNBA record.
• San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker will miss about a week of practice with the French Olympic basketball team after suffering a scratched retina during a New York City nightclub brawl involving singer Chris Brown and members of hip-hop star Drake's entourage.