• Pirates 5, Cardinals 0: In Pittsburgh, Garrett Jones hit his 100th career homer and drove in four runs as Francisco Liriano and Pittsburgh Pirates beat St. Louis 5-0 to tie the Cardinals atop the NL Central.
The slumping Jones had three hits and Russell Martin added his 12th homer of the season. Jose Tabata and Neil Walker got two hits as the Pirates moved within four victories of their first winning season in 21 years.
• Braves 2, Marlins 1: In Atlanta, Freddie Freeman hit a two-run homer in the first inning and Julio Teheran topped Jose Fernandez in a matchup of young right-handers to lead Atlanta to its fifth straight win.
• Phillies 6, Cubs 5: In Chicago, Michael Young had four hits, including a tiebreaking single in the ninth inning, and Philadelphia rallied past Chicago in Ryne Sandberg’s return to Wrigley Field.
• Mets 3, Nationals 2: In Washington, Ike Davis hit a two-run homer, Daniel Murphy scored from second on a grounder and Dillon Gee allowed two runs over 72/3 innings for New York .
• Dodgers 9, Padres 2: In Los Angeles, Yasiel Puig had four hits and two stolen bases after getting benched in his previous game, and Adrian Gonzalez hit a pair of two-run homers for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
• Rockies 9, Reds 3: In Denver, Todd Helton homered twice and matched a career high with six RBIs to power Colorado.
• Athletics 4, Rays 3: In Oakland, Calif., Kurt Suzuki greeted his old fans with a three-run homer in his first game back at the Coliseum with Oakland since being traded away last August, Jed Lowrie hit a go-ahead double in the eighth, and the Athletics beat Tampa Bay. Lowrie extended his hitting streak to 12 games with his Oakland-record 13th double in August, off Joel Peralta.
• Red Sox 4, White Sox 3: In Boston, Ryan Dempster returned from his suspension for hitting Alex Rodriguez and pitched into the seventh inning, leading Boston to its fifth win in six games.
• Yankees 8, Orioles 5, In New York, Ichiro Suzuki hit a two-run homer and Robinson Cano singled in two runs during a five-run fifth inning that helped the New York Yankees pick up an ineffective C.C. Sabathia. Alfonso Soriano connected for a two-run shot in the fourth off Miguel Gonzalez (8-7),
• Twins 3, Rangers 2: In Arlington Texas, Chris Herrmann hit a tying, two-run homer to break up Yu Darvish’s no-hit bid in the seventh inning, Justin Morneau followed with a home run for Minnesota.
• Tigers 7, Indians 2: In Detroit, Victor Martinez doubled twice and drove in two runs to lead Detroit to a 7-2 win oin a game stopped after seven innings because of rain.
• Blue Jays 3, Royals 2: In Toronto, Mark Buehrle pitched seven shutout innings to win his sixth straight decision and Toronto ended Kansas City’s winning streak at five games.
• Mariners 7, Astros 1: In Houston, Taijuan Walker did not allow an earned run over five innings in his major-league debut and Dustin Ackley had a career-high four hits with four RBIs for Seattle.
• Angels 5, Brewers 0: In Milwaukee, Jared Weaver tossed six scoreless innings and Grant Green hit a three-run double that led the Los Angeles Angels to victory.