WASHINGTON - The Washington Capitals clinched the Southeast Division title Tuesday night, completing a stark turnaround in with a 4-3 win over the Winnipeg Jets behind Alex Ovechkin's league-leading 31st goal.
The Capitals were next-to-last in the Eastern Conference as recently as March 21, but are in the postseason for the sixth consecutive seasons.
• Hurricanes 4, Islanders 3, SO: In Raleigh, N.C., the Islanders clinched an Eastern Conference playoff spot despite the loss. Riley Nash and Jeff Skinner scored in the shootout for the Hurricanes.
• Blues 3, Avalanche 1: In St. Louis, Chris Stewart reached career milestones of 100 goals and 100 assists as the Blues clinched a playoff berth with two games to spare.
• Flyers 5, Bruins 2: In Philadelphia, Matt Read and Oliver Lauridsen scored 7 seconds apart for the Flyers.
• Wild 2, Kings 1: In St. Paul, Minn., Charlie Coyle and Cal Clutterbuck scored 16 seconds apart late in the first period as the Wild broke a five-game home losing streak.
• Panthers 3, Rangers 2: In Sunrise, Fla., Marcel Goc and Drew Shore scored third-period goals as Florida prevented the Rangers from clinching a playoff berth.
• Sabres 4, Penguins 2: In Pittsburgh, Thomas Vanek scored twice and Ryan Miller stopped 40 shots for Buffalo.
• Predators 4, Flames 3: In Nashville, Tenn., Austin Watson and Matt Halischuk scored 1:23 apart in the third period to lead Nashville, which ended the franchise's longest losing streak at eight games.
• Devils 3, Canadiens 2: In Newark, N.J., Patrik Elias scored his 375th NHL goal, Martin Brodeur made 19 saves for his 669th victory for New Jersey. The sputtering Canadiens (27-14-5) lost for the fifth time in six games.
• Sharks 3, Stars 2: In San Jose, Calif., Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski had goals 30 seconds apart late in the third period to help the Sharks clinch their ninth straight playoff berth.