NEWARK, N.J. - Frans Nielsen set up two early goals and Evgeni Nabokov made 24 saves as New York continued its playoff push with a 3-1 win over New Jersey.
Josh Bailey and Travis Hamonic were the beneficiaries of Nielsen's passes, and John Tavares added his 22nd goal Monday night. Alexei Ponikarovsky scored for the Devils.
Matt Martin downed Devils forward Tom Kostopoulos with a right to the jaw that sent him to the ice. Martin immediately motioned to the Devils bench for help for the dazed player.
• Rangers 4, Jets 2: In New York, Derek Stepan scored twice, including the go-ahead goal in the third period, to lead New York, which picked up two vital points in its fight to hold onto a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The Southeast Division-leading Jets got goals from Nik Antropov and Zach Bogosian.
• Red Wings 3, Avalanche 2: In Detroit, Damien Brunner ended his 15-game scoring drought and Jimmy Howard made a late save to help Detroit hold off Colorado. Colorado pulled goaltender Semyon Varlamov, and Matt Duchene scored with the extra skater on the ice to make it 3-2 with 1:18 left, but Howard's glove save with 7 seconds left prevented overtime.
• Canadiens 4, Hurricanes 1: In Montreal, Carey Price made 18 saves in his 300th NHL game to lead Montreal. Max Pacioretty scored twice and Andrei Markov and Jeff Halpern also scored for Montreal, which swept the season series against Carolina. Jordan Staal scored and Justin Peters stopped 25 shots for Carolina.
• Blues 4, Wild 1: In St. Paul, Minn., Jaden Schwartz and Andy McDonald each had a goal and an assist and Brian Elliott made 19 saves as St. Louis snapped a three-game losing streak. Kevin Shattenkirk and Barret Jackman also scored for St. Louis. Dany Heatley scored for Minnesota.
• Ducks 4, Stars 0: In Dallas, Viktor Fasth made 26 saves for his third shutout of the season, leading Anaheim over reeling Dallas. Bobby Ryan had a goal and an assist, Corey Perry and Matt Beleskey also scored and Ryan Getzlaf added two assists for the Ducks.
• Blackhawks 3, Predators 2, SO: In Chicago, defenseman Michal Rozsival scored in the fifth round of the shootout after Jonathan Toews also connected in the tiebreaker for Chicago. Rozsival, who hasn't scored a goal this season, beat Pekka Rinne with a high shot in his first attempt in a shootout this season.
• Oilers 4, Flames 1: In Edmonton, Alberta, Justin Schultz had a goal and two assists as Edmonton continued its drive for a playoff spot by winning its fourth in a row. Taylor Hall, Ryan Jones and Nail Yakupov also scored for the Oilers. Brian McGratton scored for Calgary, which saw defenseman Jay Bouwmeester traded to St. Louis shortly before the game.
• Sharks 3, Canucks 3: In San Jose, Calif., Joe Thornton had a goal and an assist during a second-period scoring flurry as San Jose won its fifth straight. San Jose broke a scoreless tie with three goals in a span of 2:13 against Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider, then held on for a season sweep of Vancouver. San Jose remains in the No. 6 playoff position in the Western Conference.