PHILADELPHIA — Nick Foles has a new nickname that’s appropriate this time of year: Saint Nick.
Foles, a former Arizona Wildcat quarterback, hardly resembles jolly old Santa Claus, but he’s given fans of the Philadelphia Eagles plenty of gifts this year. They want one more Sunday.
A victory at the Dallas Cowboys (8-7) would clinch the NFC East title for the Eagles (9-6) and secure the No. 3 seed in the conference. It’s already been a remarkable turnaround under rookie coach Chip Kelly after a 4-12 finish last year.
But this story is far from complete. For all of his accomplishments, Foles is constantly reminded about the first time the Eagles played the Cowboys.
Both teams were 3-3 when Dallas came to Philadelphia, shut down Kelly’s high-flying offense and knocked Foles out of the game with a concussion at the end of the third quarter. Foles was 11 of 29 for 80 yards in the 17-3 loss, a dismal performance in only his second start after replacing an injured Michael Vick.
Foles returned from the concussion two weeks later and threw seven touchdown passes to tie an NFL record in a victory at Oakland. He leads the league with a passer rating of 118.8, which is third-highest in the history of the NFL. He has thrown 25 TD passes to only two interceptions.
Foles has led the Eagles to a 7-2 record in nine starts and has them on the verge of going worst to first in the division.
- Wes Welker
- returned to the Broncos practice field on Wednesday for the first time since suffering his second concussion on Dec. 12.
- Packers linebacker
- Clay Matthews
- will miss Sunday’s game against the Bears for the NFC North title after aggravating a right thumb injury.
- The Lions placed tight end
- Brandon Pettigrew
- on injured reserve, ending his season.
- The Saints signed safety
- Terrence Frederick
- off Cleveland’s practice squad Wednesday and placed safety
- Kenny Vaccaro
- on injured reserve, officially ending his season.
- The Giants placed safety
- Cooper Taylor
- on injured reserve, about two weeks after he injured his hamstring, and signed
- Eric Herman
- from their practice squad to replace Taylor on the active roster.