THIS WEEK IN THE pac-10 conference • BY BRIAN J. PEDERSEN / ARIZONA DAILY STAR
top to bottom
Last No. School Record week Comment
1. USC 3-0 1 Trojans made Ducks feel equal before blowing them out of water
2. Arizona State 3-1 2 As ready as it will ever be to pull off major win vs. USC
3. California 4-0 3 Ho-hum TV win at New Mexico State did little for team progress
4. UCLA 3-0 4 Bruins get to remain in early-season glow with Washington in town
5. Oregon 3-1 5 How Ducks bounce back from loss to USC is critical to season
6. Washington State 3-0 7 A win at struggling Oregon State would help legitimize start
7. Oregon State 2-2 6 Back-to-back blowout losses have Beavers reeling
8. Arizona 1-2 8 Visit to Cal another chance to prove turnaround is ongoing
9. Stanford 1-1 9 Still smarting from loss to I-AA UC-Davis; now comes ticked-off Oregon
10. Washington 1-3 10 Things cannot get any worse away from Seattle, site of first 4 games
"I was sore since the second or third play, when I had to tackle LenDale White. I was coughing up blood. I've got bruises all over my body."
Oregon cornerback Aaron Gipson
On the physical pounding during the Ducks' 45-13 loss to top-ranked USC
lAST week's BESTS
USC running back/receiver/kick returner
Compiled 267 all-purpose yards (120 rushing, 43 receiving, 104 on returns) with two touchdowns in the 45-13 win at Oregon
Arizona State wide receiver
Career bests in catches (11) and yards (193) with two TDs in 42-24 win at Oregon State
LAST WEEK'S WORSTS
OREGON STATE OFFENSE
Committed six turnovers (3 interceptions, 3 fumbles) in 42-24 loss to Arizona State
WASHINGTON RUSHING OFFENSE
Gained only 41 yards on 22 carries in 36-17 loss to Notre Dame
MOMENT YOU MISSED
Ryan Gardner / AP 2005
ASU's Rudy Burgess scoots around Oregon State's Trent Bray on his way to a score in the Sun Devils' rout.
THIS WEEKEND's GAMES
No. 1 USC at No. 14 Arizona State, 12:30 p.m. (Ch 9)
Washington State at Oregon State, 1 p.m.
Oregon at Stanford, 2 p.m.
Arizona at No. 12 California, 4 p.m. (TBS)
Washington at No. 20 UCLA, 7:15 p.m. (FSNAZ)
No. 1 USC at No. 14 ARizona State
12:30 p.m. Saturday, Channel 9
After blowing away Oregon in the second half last week, USC now must deal with an Arizona State team that has yet to show any offensive weakness. But the Sun Devils have been suspect on defense, which has Matt Leinart and company licking their lips in anticipation.