Reserve quarterback Bryson Beirne will be out indefinitely with what coach Mike Stoops says is a sprained right knee.
Beirne, a UA senior and the backup to starter Nick Foles, injured his knee in Saturday's workout on Fort Huachuca. Beirne underwent an MRI Monday afternoon that showed a sprain, Stoops said.
"At this point, we don't want to operate," Stoops said. "We want to give him an opportunity to play; it all depends on how he reacts. Some people can stabilize their knee with a brace, and we'll see if it works for him."
Beirne wasn't the only UA quarterback missing on Monday. Matt Scott was a no-show for the evening workout with what Stoops said was strep throat. Scott was limited during the team's final days at Fort Huachuca.
Beirne's injury could directly affect Scott, who is planning to redshirt this fall in order to potentially start in 2012. If Beirne is unavailable and Scott is intent on redshirting, the UA would have just one backup quarterback - true freshman Daxx Garman.
Stoops said he was disappointed to see Beirne injured.
"If it's a long-term injury … we lose an awfully good player who's been playing really well," the coach said. "This was his opportunity to play. We'll see where it takes us."
TRAINING CAMP INSIDER
Day 10, at Rincon Vista
• Highlights: The Wildcats' first full day back in Tucson following a trip to Fort Huachuca was a doozy - the team held its second two-a-day of training camp, practicing for 3 1/2 total hours. The defense surged in both practices: Mohammed Usman had an impressive sack in the evening practice, and walk-on safety Jared Tevis laid out receiver Garic Wharton during 11-on-11 drills. The night practice ended with a field goal by backup kicker Jaime Salazar. Safety Mark Watley had an up-and-down day: He slipped and fell while covering receiver David Roberts in the morning workout, leading to an easy touchdown for the offense. A dozen plays later, Watley closed on receiver Dan Buckner and broke up a pass. Watley had an interception in the night workout.
• Weather: 90 degrees and humid in the evening; 1 degree cooler - 89 and humid - in the morning.
• Injury report: Backup quarterback Bryson Beirne is out indefinitely with a right knee sprain; fellow signal-caller Matt Scott missed the evening practice with strep throat. Nickel back Jourdon Grandon (knee sprain) continues to run in practice, but has not been cleared for contact. Safety Adam Hall, linebacker Jake Fischer, tailback Greg Nwoko and defensive tackle Willie Mobley are out indefinitely to recover from offseason knee surgeries.
• Up next: The Wildcats will practice at 8:30 a.m. today at Rincon Vista.
• The big number: 9. How many practices UA scheduled for this week. The Wildcats practiced twice Monday and have two-a-days scheduled for Wednesday and Friday. Single practices are scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday; the annual meet-the-team night is Saturday at 5 p.m. at Arizona Stadium.