Dan Starr Piano & Keyboard Instruction and Performance
4839 E. 4th St. , Tucson, AZ 85711
Whether you are looking for music lessons for beginners or already play a bit and simply want to improve, Dan Starr Piano & Keyboard Instruction and Performance can help. My philosophy of teaching is that results are everything! In the last 25 years I've learned many things about music training that you really should know. I urge you to read on, so you can learn this stuff, including how I personally get great results for my personal students (this refers to my website: www.danstarr.com)
You can also check me out on the radio each Sunday morning at 8:30 AM on KVOI, AM 1030. For those who are NOT near Tucson, here's a link to listen LIVE!
I am currently looking for selected new students of all ages.
Contact me TODAY:
Special Offers & Events
More Offers & Events
This is done one-on-one for selected folks of all ages. I started helping in 1987. Your firs…
I can play almost anything we both enjoy and am a great and trustworthy entertainer. Contact…
My books: I have written 30+ books available on amazon.com, mostly concerning non-traditiona…
|Mon||2:00 pm - 7:00 pm|
|Tue||2:00 pm - 7:00 pm|
|Wed||2:00 pm - 7:00 pm|
|Thu||2:00 pm - 7:00 pm|
|Fri||2:00 pm - 5:00 pm|
Special hours: Please contact me for particular availability. Performances are held Friday evenings and all day Saturdays and Sundays.
More About Us
Information You NEED!
This is info is for both those just investigating the subject for the first time AND those ready to act. I hope both types of Internet user will read on to gain awareness of what I've discovered over some 25+ years of working with folks of all ages. I'm not going to "talk money" and give you specific costs, just provide some very useful information!
Of the many things I've learned, four items stand out:
1. The first is that your "lessons" should not be like school nor should your results be that way, either. In school they taught classes and thus had to teach towards the entire class. You worked hard for a grade and a certificate of graduation.
However, personal, individual training is more like "coaching" and CAN and SHOULD (I believe, at least) be tailored to individual needs and the desire for individual results. Parents want results for their children and older players want to learn to play or to improve. Of course, you'll have to exert a bit of effort by telling your coach (I prefer the word "coach" to "teacher" as it has fewer bad memories associated with it!) what you want. More about how I personally do this for you is at the bottom of this page - but first you should read on.
2. The second piece of relevant info is that YOU have the most control of the price. That's because a good coach will NOT hold you back and you can work hard and thus limit the time (and money!) spent. To learn more about this, copy and paste the following into your browser. It will take you to my blog and an essay called "How to Evaluate Lesson Fees."
3. Along these same lines is your third piece of vital info - that any really competent coach will ask you what YOU want to achieve. This applies even if you are the parent and you want to achieve something for your children taking music lessons. A good coach will ask what that "something" is. The coach's sincere interest in the student is the essential reason anyone CAN take lessons and learn something new.
How can you find such an instructor? Start by getting a copy of the book I wrote on that subject. Click on the "Online Stuff" link above on the left and you'll have a bit more reading to do and one more click which will take you to amazon.com.
Naturally, I've tried hard to be the kind of a coach I describe! I'm friendly, patient and HONEST! Possibly it might have been years since you learned anything but I'd like you to know that it is still possible - but only if you have some hope that it is. It also takes the right coach (teacher.)
4. The fourth (and final) item relates completely to you. It is this: there is no way anyone, regardless of how smart they are, can learn to play without some investment of effort. Sorry folks, but if you aren't willing to try and only seek to SPEND or THINK your way to success in learning to play, you are doomed to failure. You have to practice and that's all there is to it. Otherwise, stick with your ipad (or other mp3 player) and simply be a listener.
Sad, really, as our society needs more producers.
Finally, here are the items I offer to locals (in the Tucson area) which can help YOU, personally, regardless of whether you are a complete beginner or a more advanced music maker, and regardless of your age!
1. Personal, tailored training,
2. Holiday gift certificates, and
3. Great performances on keyboard, especially for Holiday Parties!
If you simply do not want any personal service and want to get some online training (one possible reason is you are very busy and want help on your schedule - another is that online help is generally cheaper) then you should go to my site and click on the "Online Stuff" tab. Meanwhile, for those willing to work with me because they want my personal help, here's more info on what I offer:
1. Personal, tailored training: This is done one-on-one for selected folks of all ages. Your first step here is to contact me to get a FREE "Personal Music Evaluation" Why? You can find out:
a) What you must do to be musically inspired or motivated, and
b) How to create a new, cheap, and wonderful hobby
Such an evaluation will take "as long as it takes." The benefits are guaranteed, however, and even if I can't help you will be a more informed prospective student. Did I mention FREE? You should contact me NOW. By the way, no money is discussed in your "Personal Music Evaluation" so don't worry about that! I also guarantee the full return of your fees for your first month if you aren't happy with no questions asked. (I charge month to month, not for an entire semester!) Your risk is minimal.
2. Holiday gift certificates: I will sell gift certificates IF the receiver is accepted by me.
3. Great performances on keyboard: I can play almost anything we both enjoy and am a great and trustworthy entertainer.
Contact me for all the details.
About Dan Starr
Please note that this short "bio" will tell you WHO I am but not whether WE would be a good "fit"- only personal contact can tell you that.>/b>
Born in Tucson, Arizona in 1952, I have lived here ever since. I began playing organ at age 15 and took formal training focusing on popular standards rather than classical music. By age 16, I was performing in public. I also indulged my teenaged ego by playing in rock bands all through high school.
My music career was sidetracked by college and then many years in public relations and marketing. During this period, I first taught myself to play the piano (poorly!) then later received some "formal instruction." In 1987, I put all these skills together and began a new career as a keyboard instructor and performer. As the technology of electronic instruments advanced, I kept pace - purchasing, teaching, and performing on some of the first digital pianos, synthesizers, and portable keyboards. This has allowed me to know all about modern instruments.
Since then (1987!) I've kept a full-time music teaching practice. I specialize in teaching keyboard to adults based on the idea of "playing for their own enjoyment." Not sure what you want or what your proper next step might be? Contact me!
In 2001 I added "author" to my job description with the publication of my first book. I currently have 28 books available at amazon.com. Many of my books deal with the more "unusual" topics related to playing keyboards for personal enjoyment. Amazon is wonderful. A person doesn't even need to own an "book reader" to read my writings - any computer will do. Info on these books (29 last count!) is available at danstarr.com or amazon.com.