Man dies in northwest-side fire

2013-05-15T00:00:00Z Man dies in northwest-side fireKimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
May 15, 2013 12:00 am  • 

A 50-year-old man died early Tuesday in a northwest-side mobile-home fire sparked by a cigarette.

The identity of the man, who was disabled, has not yet been released pending examination by the Pima County Medical Examiner's Office and notification of his relatives, Capt. Adam Goldberg, spokesman for the Northwest Fire District, said.

Crews responded to the mobile-home fire at about 1 a.m. Half of the home, in the 2000 block of West Gardner Lane, between North La Cholla Boulevard and North Romero Road, was ablaze when firefighters arrived.

Pima County sheriff's deputies were on patrol in the area and arrived just before fire crews, he said. They "attempted to make entry into the mobile home to check for the victim, but were driven back by the heavy smoke and fire," Goldberg said.

Neighbors told firefighters the man who lived in the home, was possibly still inside, Goldberg said, so crews entered the burning trailer to search for him.

"Conditions when the crews made entry into the building were extreme with black smoke creating a zero visibility environment and high heat from the flames," Goldberg said.

A second crew also went into the home to search for the man, he said.

"The first crew was able to locate the victim near the back bedroom area. No other victims were found in the fire building."

It took 19 firefighters about 25 minutes to bring the fire under control. The mobile home was a total loss, Goldberg said.

The fire was determined to be accidental, he said, caused by a cigarette.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Video

Most Popular

Follow the Arizona Daily Star

Featured businesses

View more...

Deals, offers & events

View more...

Event Calendar

Today's events | Add an event

Most viewed: