North Fairview Avenue between West Roger Road and West Limberlost Drive is closed while crews clean up after a fire that broke out in a double-wide mobile home.
Three people were in the home in the 4000 block of North Fairview Avenue when the fire started Monday morning, said Capt. Adam Goldberg, a spokesman for Northwest Fire District.
The fire started when a 62-year-old man using an oxygen tank was smoking, Goldberg said.
Investigators aren’t sure if the man had just lit the cigarette, was putting it out or if some ashes fell, he said.
The man was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and is in stable condition.
The three occupants noticed the fire early and called 911 immediately. Crews arrived at the home just over three minutes after the call came in and the fire was under control within 14 minutes.
Damage is estimated at $20,000. The American Red Cross is assisting the family.
The road was expected to be closed until about noon while crews pick up hoses in the roadway.