Fifteen Douglas middle school students were taken to the hospital Friday morning after reportedly taking a prescription drug.
The suspected drug is Clonidine, a drug used to treat high blood pressure and ADHD, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, said Keith Boesen, director of Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center.
The center provided information about the drug, and how to treat its symptoms to Douglas Fire Department paramedics and staff of Southeast Arizona Medical Center, where the students were hospitalized, said Boesen.
The students were treated by paramedics at Ray Borane Middle School before being transported to the medical center, said Annie Benson, chief executive officer of the hospital.
The students — ages 13 and 14 — arrived at the hospital's emergency room by 10 a.m. and "some of them were drowsy, some confused and some combative," Benson said.
Firefighters and teachers who came with the students told hospital personnel that apparently one of the students had a prescription drug, and shared it with other students, Benson said.
Most of the students have been treated, and met with a behavioral health crisis team counselor before being released to their parents, Benson said. She said all the students are expected to be discharged by Friday evening.
The crisis counselors will have followup appointments next week with the students, said Benson.