Plumber soldering pipe starts fire at Tucson townhome

2014-02-04T15:27:00Z Plumber soldering pipe starts fire at Tucson townhomeKimberly Matas Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
February 04, 2014 3:27 pm  • 

A plumber soldering a pipe in a vacant north-side townhome had to evacuate Tuesday morning after the insulation caught fire.

Initially the plumber tried to extinguish the flames, but they spread too quickly forcing him to flea the two-story home in the 1500 block of East Prince Road between North Mountain and Campbell avenues.

Fire crews arrived just after 10 a.m. and saw smoke coming from a second-story window, Capt. Barrett Baker, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a news release.

Eight units and 21 firefighters responded to the 911 call. It took eight minutes to bring the blaze under control.

Baker did not have a cost estimate of the damage.

Precautions should be taken when using soldering equipment, he advised.

“Always have a fire extinguisher available when using any type of torch. Soldering pipe usually requires your water to be shut off so have a large bucket of water ready as a secondary means of extinguishment,” Baker said.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About this blog

The Star's public safety reporters comb through police reports, and tell you what you've missed.

Police Beat updates

Video

Featured businesses

View more...

Deals, offers & events

View more...

$69.95 AC Inspection Special!

K&D Quality Auto is offering $69.95 AC Inspection Service…