This tangy, uncooked relish and roast beef make a tasty, colorful sandwich. Most relishes need slow cooking and lots of sugar. This is a fresh relish and the corn is so sweet that no sugar is needed. It takes very little time to make.
Roast Beef Sandwich With Tomato and Corn Relish
Makes: 2 servings.
• 1 cup frozen corn kernels
• 1 cup diced tomatoes
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
• 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
• Salt and fresh ground black pepper
• 4 slices whole grain bread
• 6 ounces sliced lean roast beef
Microwave corn 30 seconds to defrost or place in boiling water for 30 seconds and drain. Mix corn with tomatoes, vinegar, onion and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Toast whole grain bread and place roast beef on 2 slices. Spoon relish over roast beef and cover with 2 remaining slices of bread.
Per serving: 366 calories, 7 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 54 mg cholesterol, 31 g protein, 48 g carbohydrates, 7 g dietary fiber, 8 g sugars, 698 mg sodium.