Rabbi Sam Cohon's "Too Jewish" radio show is broadcast on a Christian station in Douglas, which makes comedian Robert Klein scratch his head a bit.
"This show is on a Christian Evangelical network," he said last week, from Maine. "It sounds like a weird idea."
Weird because "Too Jewish" pretty much sums up what you'll hear on Cohon's weekly show: stories about Jewish life and faith featuring Jewish guests.
But there's also some funny stuff going on.
"We do a lot of schtick. We do haikus for Jews. There's a lot of interesting, funny stuff going on in the Jewish world, and I do poke fun at a lot of stuff because I do think we often take ourselves too seriously," says Cohon, the longtime Temple Emanu-El rabbi who has invited Klein to help him celebrate the show's 10th year on Saturday.
Klein is among a handful of special guests who will celebrate the anniversary at Fox Tucson Theatre Saturday and raise money for a few causes near to Cohon's heart, including Jewish Family & Children's Services of Southern Arizona. Other guests include Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild and U.S. Rep. Ron Barber, with music by Tucson's Avanim Rock Band and Boreas.
"Robert Klein's very funny. So if I'm not funny, God-willing, he will be," Cohon said.
Cohon started "Too Jewish" at the suggestion of an advertising salesman working with Temple Emanu-El. Over the years, the show has evolved into somewhat of a Jewish variety show, with music and talk, celebrity interviews and discussions on Jewish beliefs and issues.
"It's been great. I've had the opportunity to interview Nobel Prize winners like Elie Wiesel, and actors like Ed Asner, ballplayers like Ian Kinsler and comedians and all kinds of musicians," said Cohon, the father of three. "It's been tremendously fulfilling and interesting."
Comedian Richard Lewis was initially signed on to do Saturday's show but pulled out in January after canceling his spring tour.
If you go
• What: "Too Jewish Radio Show with Rabbi Sam Cohon and Friends."
• When: 7:45 p.m. Saturday.
• Where: Fox Tucson Theatre, 17 W. Congress St.
• Tickets: $32 to $102 at foxtucsontheatre.ticketforce.com or by calling 547-3040. Proceeds benefit Jewish Family & Children's Services of Southern Arizona, Temple Emanu-El and Tucson Hebrew Academy.
• On the radio: Too Jewish Radio airs at 9 a.m. Sundays on KVOI AM 1030; and KAPR 930 AM (Douglas, Bisbee and Sierra Vista).
• More from Klein: Visit azstarnet.com/calientetunedin for more Klein jokes.