Chanel Yellowhair was around 13 years old when she sat at her grandfather's side and learned to paint.
Her grandfather, celebrated Navajo painter Robert Yellowhair, showed her how he created his oil paintings that depicted Native American life.
Chanel Yellowhair's first work was an oil painting of a horsehead.
"He taught me how to paint," said the 25-year-old Snowflake native, who moved to Tucson six years ago.
"I would go over there after school for two weeks and he would teach me stuff," she said as she prepared for her first showcase with Raw Natural Born Artists.
Her grandfather gave her some of his old brushes and stretched canvas and sent her on her way to becoming an artist.
Chanel Yellowhair, who signs her paintings CYH, took a different path from her grandfather's native landscapes and portraits done in oil. She paints in acrylics and describes her art as more urban and raw.
"It's not abstract, but it's not exactly any other category," she explained. "It's most definitely different. It's raw. It's street."
Yellowhair will join more than 30 artists whose talents will be on display at Friday's "Kaleidoscope" event at Club Congress.
It's the second event in Raw's second Tucson season of showcasing independent artists of various media - visual arts, fashion, makeup, performance art, music and photography.
Yellowhair says it's an opportunity for her to introduce herself to her adopted home.
"I just want to share my artwork with the community and anybody who has interest," she said, noting that she will have several of her paintings on display. "My goal is to try to get myself out there and be a better artist. It's more of a building experience."
Other Tucson artists in the Kaleidoscope showcase:
• Fashion: Phillip Manus and Revelation Ink Clothing.
• Music: Sock Fight, Intertwine, GSol & Troupe Royale and The Chivalry.
• Film: Jack Webb.
• Visual arts: Pato Aguilar, Chris Hutter, Cynthia Locke, David Larsen, James Obert, Neida Ahmed, Trevor Smith, Tara Saathoff, Juliet Mendivil, Tyler DeLorenzo and Jen Haskin.
• Photography: Chris Koval, Lavon Figueroa, Santos Photography and MCLG Photography.
• Hair and makeup: Riccianne Gillis, Sarah Mason, J. Scordato Salon, Ashley Heckroth and Havoc Makeup.
• Accessories: Betsie G., Lotus Stone, Jeanne Bjorn, Prickly Hearts and Sunny Raven Designs.
Raw, which has been hosting independent artists in showcases around the country since 2009, launched its Tucson showcases in February 2012. The showcases, which run through year's end, feature a range of art forms, from music to painting and photography to fashion and film.
If you go
• What: Raw Natural Born Artists showcase "Kaleidoscope." No one under 21 will be admitted.
• When: 8 p.m. Friday.
• Where: Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St.
• Cost: $10 in advance from any of the participating artists or online at rawartists.org/tucson/kaleidoscope; $15 at the door.
Contact reporter Cathalena E. Burch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-4642.